The knee pain in teenagers is common because of multiple reasons. But the causes of knee pain in Teenagers is not because of any serious joint health problems like arthritis or gout. The knee joint is one of the most complex and strongest joints in the body where the lower end of the femur, upper end of the shinbone and patella join together. The cartilages, tendons, and ligaments at the knee joint ensure the smooth joint function. Cartilages at the joint act as a cushion between these bones to avoid tear and wear of the joints.
The Causes of Knee Pain in Teenagers:
Knee pain in teenagers characterized by pain in front of the knee or the center of the knee. The primary cause of knee pain in teenagers might be because of the over usage of the knee joints or sudden twist of hip or knees. Some time improper physical training and coaching can cause knee pain in teenagers. As a result, injury to cartilages, tendons, and ligaments may occur. Let us discuss some common causes of knee pain in teenagers.
1. Osgood-Schlatter’s Disease:
Osgood-Schlatter’s Disease is the most common cause of knee pain in teenagers ages between 10-14 years. It occurs as result of damage to the tendons(patellar tendon) which attaches kneecap to the tibia due to over usage of the knee joints. Running and jumping increases the risk for this disease in teenagers. The Osgood-Schlatter’s Disease characterized by a swelling below the kneecap due to patellar tendon injury( The tendon which connects tibia and kneecap).
Symptoms of Osgood-Schlatter’s Disease:
- The kid complains that the leg and knee hurt especially during running or jumping.
- Swelling present just below the knee joint.
- Generalized pain around the knee joints may present. But during an examination, it can be seen that more pain just below the knee.
- Severe pain during flexion or extension.
Most of these kinds of joint health problems in adolescents can manage with home remedies for knee pain relief like ice application and rest. Ice application to be done for at least for 20 minutes at a time. It should be done several times in a day for proper knee pain relied on teenagers. As the children ages, most of the symptoms gradually disappear, so surgical intervention is not required most of the time.
2. Patellofemoral Syndrome or Runners Knee:
Patellofemoral syndrome or anterior knee pain syndrome is another common cause of knee pain in teenagers. It occurs as a result of damage to the cartilage under the kneecap. Patellofemoral syndrome is common among children those participate in sports activities especially running and jumping.
Symptoms of Patellofemoral Syndrome in Children:
- Severe pain while climbing the stairs.
- Joint stiffness.
Ice application may help to relieve the knee joint pain. Use of knee braces also recommended as it helps to stabilize and restrict the joint movement.
Taking glucosamine supplements may help to relieve knee pain in older people as it helps to regenerate the damages cartilages. Amway Glucosamine supplements are the most recommended supplement for joint pain and knee pain relief.
How to Relieve Knee Pain In Teenagers:
Most of the knee pain can manage at home by using home remedies. RICE is an important in knee pain treatment as it can give instant relief from a hurting knee. So what is RICE?
- Rest: Rest is necessary for knee pain recovery. Provide adequate rest for your knee for fast recovery from knee pain. It is also important to avoid further damage to the knee. You can apply best knee braces to ensure rest of the joint by immobilizing the affected joints.
- Ice: Ice application can provide instant knee pain relief by temporarily suppressing the neuron activity of the affect joints. Cold application to be done several times in a day. Each time ice compression should continue for at least 20 minutes for good result.
- Compression: Apply a compression bandage to the affected. It helps to decrease the swelling around the area. Do not apply the compression dressing so tight as it can cut off the blood circulation.
- Elevation: Elevating the injured leg help to decrease the inflammation around the area.
Following RICE technique help to relieve joint pain and swelling after some time. Physiotherapy and other mild exercises can be started under the supervision of registered Physiotherapist once the swelling and pain get relieved.
Now you may have Understood the main causes of knee pain in teenagers. Never ignore the joint pain in children and should seek immediate medical attention in case of no pain relief or any other structural deformity.
Tips For To Return Normal Physical Activity After a Knee Injury:
- Start physical activity under the supervision of a qualified Physiotherapist only.
- Make sure that the child wears a proper shoe with the correct size.
- Proper Warm-up methods should follow before starting physical activity.
- Wearing a knee brace also helps to support knee joints.
Calcium and vitamin D is necessary for joint health. So Calcium deficiency and vitamin deficiency also cause knee pain in teenagers. Taking best joint health foods and joint health supplements may help to reduce joint health issue in teenagers.